- Mackerel Pate
Mackerel pate is great for picnics, packed lunches or as a starter, easy to make and high in omega 3.
Encourage the children to flake the mackerel and grate the lemon zest, they can chop up the chives using scissors if supervised and make oatcakes to go with it.
- 330g smoked mackerel fillets
- 200g cream cheese, low fat is fine
- 1 bunch chives, chopped
- 1 large pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 lemon
- 55g butter
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
Total time required
- Preparation time:
- Flake the mackerel fillets into a bowl and mash with a fork.
- Add the cream cheese, chives, cayenne pepper, lemon zest and juice, pinch of salt and pepper and mix well.
- Spoon the pate into ramekins.
- Melt the butter and pout a little over the pate to make a layer on top.
- Decorate with herbs, cover with clingfilm and refrigerate for 2 hours or until the butter is firm.
- Serve with home made oatcakes. Or warm crusty bread.
Recipe published with kind permission from Beverley Glock.